ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING (ECE)
Preface: This Detailed Syllabus is prepared after extensive research and analysis of all previous year Paper of ISRO TA / DAE (BARC NPCIL HWB IGCAR ) ECE (ELECTRONICS)
1. Network Theory:
• Basics – KCL, KVL, Nodal & Mesh Analysis, Star Delta Transformation, to find
equivalent resistance, inductance, Capacitance and Impedances.
• Sinusoidal Analysis, Steady State AC Circuits.
• Network Theorem: Superposition Theorem, Thevenin Theorem, Norton
Theorem, Maximum Power Transfer Theorem, Reciprocity Theorem & Tellegen’s
• Resonance: Series & Parallel Resonance and Numerical based upon Resonant
frequency, quality factor, bandwidth.
2. Control System:
• Basics of Open Loop and Closed Loop Control System.
• Evaluation of Transfer Function with Block Diagram Reduction Technique &
Mason’s Gain Formula
• Feedback Characteristics
• Time Response Analysis, first order & Second Order Control System, Calculation
of steady state error, rise time, peak time, settling time, Maximum Peak Overshoot
& Delay Time.
3. Digital Electronics:
• Logic Gates: NOT, AND, OR, NAND, NOR, EXOR & EXNOR.
• Minimization of Boolean Expression using different laws such as DE Morgan
Theorem, Commutative Law, Associative Law, etc.
• Implementation of Boolean Expression using NAND and NOR gates.
• Number System Conversion
• Binary Code, Gray Code, EBCDIC Code, ASCII Code, Excess 3 Code, etc.
• Combinational Circuits: Half Adder & Full Adder, Half Subtractor & Full
Subtractor, Multiplexer & Demultiplexer, Encoder & Decoder.
• Sequential Circuits: SR Flip Flop, JK Flip Flop, D Flip Flop, T Flip Flop, Registers &
its types, Counters, Master Slave JK Flip Flop.
• ADC & DAC: Numerical based upon it.
• Logic Families, Calculation of different terms such as Fanout, Noise Margin, etc.
4. Basic Electronics:
• Semiconductor Physics- Conductor, Semiconductor, Insulator, n-type & p-type
semiconductor, mass action law, charge neutrality equation, Drift Current &
Diffusion Current & Einstein Relation.
• Semiconductor Diode- PN junction diode & the modes of operation, Expression
for diode current, Cut in voltage, Diffusion & Transition Capacitance. Different
types of diodes- Zener Diode & its operation, Tunnel Diode.
• Basics of BJT & FET: Bipolar Junction Transistor & its operation modes, Field
effect Transistor & its modes.
5. Analog Electronics:
• Diode Circuits: Half Wave Rectifier, Full Wave Rectifier & Bridge Rectifier,
Clippers & Clampers, Zener Diode as a Voltage Regulator.
• BJT Characteristics & Biasing: Transistor Current Components, Early Effect,
Common Base, Common Emitter & Common Collector Configuration.
• Transistor Biasing & Thermal Stabilization: Operating Point, Fixed Bias, Emitter
Bias, Voltage Divider Bias & Collector to Base Bias Circuit & Thermal Runaway.
• BJT as an Amplifier: Common Emitter, Common Base and Common Collector
• Basic FET Amplifier: Common Source, Common Drain & Common Gate Amplifier.
• Feedback Amplifiers: Block Diagram, Series-Shunt, Shunt-Series, Series-Series,
• Operational Amplifiers: Characteristics of Ideal Op-amp, Equivalent Circuit of an
Opamp, Inverting Amplifier, Non-Inverting Amplifier, Voltage Follower,
Differential Amplifier, Instrumentation Amplifier, etc.
• Large Signal Amplifier: Power Amplifier, Class A, Class B Push Pull Amplifier,
Class C, Class AB, and Class D Amplifier.
6. Basic Electrical Engineering:
• Faradays’ Law of Electromagnetic Induction, Fleming Left hand & Right-Hand
Rule, Thumb Rule, and Lenz Law.
• Transformers: Introduction, Losses in a Transformer, Hysteresis & Eddy Current
Loss, Efficiency etc.
• DC Machine: DC Motor & DC Generator. EMF Equation, Construction, Wave and
Lap Winding, etc.
• Introduction to Induction Machine & Synchronous Machine.
7. Microprocessors & Microcontrollers:
• 8085 Microprocessor: Architecture, Instruction Sets & Programming.
• 8086 Microprocessor: Architecture, Instruction Set & Programming.
• Introduction to 8051 Microcontroller
8. Power Electronics:
• Basics: SCR, Characteristics & Operation Modes, SCR Triggering Methods,
Protection of SCR, Thyristor Family Devices such as TRIAC, DIAC, GTO, Power BJT,
• Half Wave Controlled and Uncontrolled Rectifier with R load, L load and RL Load.
• Introduction to Choppers & Inverter
9. Communication System:
• Introduction, Block Diagram of Communication System, Modulation & Need of
• Amplitude Modulation: Equation for AM, Spectrum of Sinusoidal AM Signal, Over
Modulation, Power Relations in AM Wave, Multiple tone Modulation, Generation
of AM Signal, DSB/FC, DSB/SC, SSB/FC, SSB/SC
• Angle Modulation- Frequency Modulation, Phase Modulation, Relation between
FM and PM, Types of FM (NBFM & WBFM), Percentage Modulation, Frequency
• Sound Broadcast transmitters & Super Heterodyne Receivers: Block Diagram &
• Pulse Modulation- Pulse Amplitude Modulation, Pulse Time Modulation, Pulse
Position Modulation, Pulse Coded Modulation System (PCM), Sampling,
Quantization, Multiplexing of Signals, Frequency Division Multiplexing, Time
Division Multiplexing, Difference between TDM & FDM Techniques.
• Modern Digital Modulation & Detection Techniques- Binary Phase Shift Keying,
Differential Phase Shift Keying, Quadrature Phase Shift Keying.
• Data Communication
• Introduction of Wireless & Mobile Communication
10. Electronics Measuring Instruments
• PMMC, Moving Iron, EDM type wattmeter, Thermal Instruments, energy meters.
• AC and DC Bridges
• CRO and Digital Voltmeter
• ADC and DAC