1. Sunil Chhetri chosen for FIFA campaign against COVID-19
- Indian football team skipper Sunil Chhetri among 28 players named for FIFA’s campaign to combat COVID-19 crisis.
- FIFA and the World Health Organization (WHO) have teamed up to combat the coronavirus by launching a new awareness campaign led by world-renowned footballers.
- The video campaign will be published in 13 languages.
- It will include Lionel Messi Philip Lahm, Iker Casillas and Carles Puyol, etc.
2. ULA’s Atlas 5 launches AEHF-6 communications satellite
- A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket lifted off carrying a USD 1.4 billion Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF-6) communications satellite for the U.S. Space Force in Florida.
- This was the sixth and final satellite of the AEHF constellation that provides secure, jam-proof voice and data communications for U.S. national leadership, military forces.
- It has international partners like Canada, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Australia.
3. Shilpa Shetty Kundra partners with Fit India
- The government”s flagship fitness movement, ‘Fit India’ has partnered with Bollywood actor and fitness icon Shilpa Shetty Kundra to provide her premium 21-Day Weight Loss Programme.
- The program includes diet tips, free of cost on the Shilpa Shetty App (SS App), during the 21-day lockdown owing to Covid-19.
- The App”s premium ”21-Day Weight Loss Program” free for all Indian and global users.
4. Zoya Akhtar won IIFTC Tourism Impact Award 2020
- Indian filmmaker Zoya Akhtar won the IIFTC Tourism Impact Award 2020 for her outstanding contribution to world tourism through her cinema at the 8th India International Film Tourism Conclave (IIFTC).
- Zoya Akhter set the trend in the film tourism space with her classic ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ shot in Spain, following it up with comedy-drama ‘Dil Dhadakne Do’ shot in Turkey.
- IIFTC’s single-minded objective is to bring the global film locations to the Indian film industry.
5. Brahmakumaris chief Dadi Janki passes away
- The Chief of Brahmakumaris Sansthan ‘Rajyogini Dadi Janki‘ (104-years) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- She was born in Hyderabad city located in Sindh province now in Pakistan.
- In the 1970s, she moved to western countries to establish Indian philosophy, Raj Yoga and human values.
- She had set up ‘Seva Kendras’ in 140 countries around the world.
- Dadi Janki was appointed the brand ambassador of Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan (Clean India Mission) by the Union government.
6. Abbott launches 5-minute Covid-19 test
- American medical devices and health care company, Abbott Laboratories is unveiling a coronavirus test that can tell if someone is infected in as little as 5 minutes.
- The medical-device maker plans to supply 50,000 tests a day starting April 1.
- The technology builds on Illinois-based Abbotts ID Now platform, the most common point-of-care test currently available in the U.S., with more than 18,000 units spread across the country.
7. Indian Army starts ‘Operation Namaste’ to combat COVID-19
- According to Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane, Indian Army has launched Operation ‘Namaste’ to insulate the 1.3 million strong force from coronavirus infection.
- Under ‘Operation Namaste’, the Army has issued a series of directives to all its bases to insulate the force from the coronavirus.
- The army has set up a total of eight quarantine centres to fight the coronavirus in the country.
8. PESO takes measures to ensure uninterrupted supply of oxygen to hospitals
- Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization(PESO) has taken various measures to ensure uninterrupted supply of Oxygen to hospitals and other health care facilities due to nationwide lockdown for containment of COVID-19 pandemic
- PESO issued Instruction to all its offices to ensure grant of licences for storage and transport of medical oxygen on an urgent basis
- The validity of licenses for transportation of oxygen and other gases have been extended up to 30th June 2020
9. Indian Railways to give full refund for cancelled trains
- Indian Railways will give a full refund for all tickets for journey period from 21st March to 14th April 2020 to contain the spread of COVID-19
- For tickets cancelled prior to 27th March, the passenger needs to file Ticket Deposit Receipt by filling a form up to 21st June to avail balance refund amount
- In case of e-tickets, the balance refund amount shall be credited to the account of the passenger from which tickets was booked for tickets cancelled prior to 27th March
10. SP founding member Beni Prasad Verma passes away
- Former Union minister and Samajwadi Party founding member Beni Prasad Verma (79-years) passed away in Lucknow.
- Mr. Verma was the telecom minister between 1996-1998 in then prime minister H D Deve Gowda’s cabinet and the steel minister in the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance-II government.
11. SBI to cut repo rate by 75 basis points
- State Bank of India has decided to pass on the entire 75 basis points repo rate cut announced by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The new rates, to be effective from 1st of April
- It will be applicable for its borrowers availing loans based on External Benchmark-linked lending rate, EBR and Repo-Linked Lending Rate(RLLR)
- Equated-monthly instalments on eligible home loan accounts, linked to EBR or RLLR will get cheaper by around 52 rupees per one lakh rupees on a 30-year loan