1. UPSCGuide e-learning portal launched
- UPSCGuide e-learning platform has been launched to provide extremely affordable preparatory courses for coming session of UPSC prelims and mains examinations.
- Students just have to register on the website and have to make payment.
- To help the students of far flanged areas UPSCGuide e-learning platform has made all their courses available free of cost to the BPL category students and ward of armed forces belonging to J&K and North-East.
2. MHRD launches YUKTI portal
- Minister for Human Resource Development has launched a web-portal YUKTI (Young India Combating COVID with Knowledge, Technology and Innovation).
- The portal and dashboard will monitor and record the efforts and initiatives of Ministry of HRD.
- It intends to cover different dimensions of COVID-19 challenges to keep the academic community healthy, both physically and mentally in a holistic and comprehensive way.
3. UP Government to work on ‘Jaan Bhi, Jahan Bhi’ formula
- Uttar Pradesh government is working on the ‘Jaan Bhi, Jahan Bhi’ formula of union government.
- A shift in focus from ‘Jaan hai to jahaan hai’ (health is wealth) to ‘Jaan bhi, jahaan bhi’ (lies as well as livelihoods), is an indication towards relaxations for certain economic activities, including for industrial and agriculture sector.
- Ministers and senior officers of UP state government will resume their duties from 15th April with due importance to social distancing.
4. Odia new year observed on April 13
- People of Odisha celebrate the ‘Odia New year’ on ‘Maha Visubha Sankranti’.
- The pana sankranti or the Odia new year marks the introduction of new panjika (Odia almanac).
- The panjika is prepared as per solar calendar and incorporates the auspicious dates, times, the sun rise and sunset timing, the stars and their movements.
- As per rituals the panjika is offered to Lord Jagannath.
- Odia people celebrate the day by drinking pana, a sweet-sour drink made with wood apple.
5. DST funded startup has developed asymptomatic COVID-19 infections testing
- Department of Science and Technology (DST) funded startup named Seagull Bio Solutions has developed kits for testing asymptomatic COVID-19 infections.
- Active Virosome Technology developed by Seagull Bio is useful for developing a novel vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 infection and also immuno-diagnostic ELISA kits for COVID-19.
6. RBI launched twitter campaign #Pay Digital Stay Safe
- The Reserve Bank of India launched a twitter campaign, ‘Pay Digital Stay Safe’ urging bank customers to adopt digital modes of payment that are convenient and safe.
- Through this,RBI emphasized on the multiple digital payment options such as NEFT,IMPS, UPI and BBPS that are available 24 * 7.
- The face of the campaign is Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan.
7. Former Zimbabwean cricketer Jackie du Preez passes away
- He played two Tests for South Africa in 1967.
- After he retired in 1979, he served his nation, Zimbabwe as a national selector in cricket.
- The former Zimbabwean cricketer Jackie du Preez ( 77 Years ) passed away.
- The leg-spinner played for South Africa in Zimbabwe’s pre- independence days.
8. Pune Rural Police and Baramati Pattern Team launches COVID-19 app
- Pune Rural Police teamed up with Baramati Pattern Team to launch an app for home delivery of daily needs to the doorstep of the residents on a click amid lockdown.
- The app is sent via a link on social media and can be downloaded within five minutes.
- The residents can send order of the essentials through the app to the nearby mall or a grocery shop and will be
delivered by the available volunteers of Baramati Pattern or by the shop owner himself.
9. Convicted killer of Bangladesh’s first president Abdul Majed hanged
- The convicted killer of Bangladesh’s first President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was hanged immediately
after midnight today in Dhaka.
- The self-confessed fugitive and former army personal Abdul Majed was arrested on 7th April from Mirpur area of Dhaka by the Counter Terrorism and Transnational crime ( CTTC)unit of Bagladesh.
- Abdul Majed was among the 12 former army personal who were awarded death sentence in 1988 for the assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975.
10. Google to launch new virtual Braille Keyboard
- Google has announced the launch of a virtual Braille keyboard for Android users with low vision or blindness.
- This new keyboard will enable these people to type on their phones without additional hardware.
- The braille keyboard will be rolled out to devices running Android 5.0 or newer through an update to the Android Accessibility Suite on the Google Play Store and will support braille grade 1 and grade 2 in English.
11. ICMR approved plasma therapy for COVID-19 treatment
- ICMR has approved plasma therapy for COVID-19 treatment to SCTIMST (Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology) Kerala.
- The treatment aims at using the immune power gained by a recovered person to treat a sick person.
- The therapy, like blood transfusion, harvests the antibody from a recovered patient and ingest into a sick person.
- The immune system mounts robust combat on the virus helped by the antibody.
12. India ranks high on “Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker”
- The “Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker” has identified India’s response to Covid-19 as
one of the most stringent in the world.
- The tracker is designed to systematically record government responses worldwide and aggregate the scores into a common ‘Stringency Index’ and included 73 countries.
- Some of the other countries to score a perfect 100 in the tracker are Israel, Mauritius, New Zealand and South Africa.