1. DRDO Laboratory designs full body disinfection chamber
- Vehicle Research Development Establishment (VRDE), DRDOLaboratory has designed full body disinfection chamber called as PSE for personnel decontamination.
- This is a portable system equipped with sanitizer and soap dispenser.
- The system has been manufactured with the help of M/s Dass Hitachi Ltd, Ghaziabad, within a time span of four days.
- This can be used in controlled ingress and egress like entry-exit to hospitals, malls, office buildings, etc.
2. EPFO Issues revised instructions to rectify Birth Records by PF members
- EPFO has issued revised instructions to facilitate PF members to rectify their date of birth in EPFO records.
- The PF subscribers can submit the correction requests online authenticating and reducing the processing time of change requests.
- This will help PF members in financial distress for availing non-refundable advance from their PF accumulations to tide over the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Anurag Srivastava takes charge as the MEA Spokesman
- Senior diplomat Anurag Srivastava (1999 batch IFS officer) took charge as the spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs succeeding Raveesh Kumar.
- He was Indian envoy to Ethiopia and was part of the Finance Division of the MEA which is tasked to administer it”s annual budget of about USD 2 billion.
- He had also served at the India’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva.
4. Nation observed ‘9pm 9minute’ by lightening diyas and candles
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call to switch off lights at 9 PM for 9 minutes and light up diyas and candles on 5th April evoked massive response across the country.
- People across the nation expressed solidarity with the nation’s fight against coronavirus, COVID-19.
5. FCI sets all-time record in transportation of food grains
- FCI has sets record in single day movement by moving 70 rakes carrying 1.93 Lakh Metric Tonnes (LMT) continuously to ensure food grain stocks during countrywide lockdown.
- Punjab accounted for about 46% of total food grain movement followed by Haryana, Telangana and Chhattisgarh.
- FCI is providing food grains under National Food Security Act (NFSA) and PM Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY) with wheat and rice at Open Market sale rates.
6. Bengaluru startup launches home screening kit for COVID-19
- Bengaluru-based startup firm Bione Ventures Pvt Ltd has launched a rapid at-home screening kit for COVID-19 that delivers results within minutes.
- The simple point-of-care home screening kit renders quick results, without having to step out in the wake of the lockdown.
- It will foster timely detection of the disease while acting as a preventive tool for others in proximity to the user, by isolating the carrier immediately.
7. UGC directs Universities to set up mental health helplines for students
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has directed all universities and colleges to set up mental health helplines to address psycho-social concerns of students during the COVID-19 lockdown.
- Helpline will be regularly monitored and managed by counsellors and identified faculty members.
8. IIT-Roorkee developed ‘Prana-Vayu’ low-cost portable ventilator
- IIT-Roorkee has developed a low-cost portable ventilator known as Prana-Vayu in association with AIIMS-Rishikesh, which can be manufactured for just ₹25,000.
- The closed-loop ventilator can deliver the required amount of air to the patient, with an automated process controlling the pressure and flow rate.
- It also has feedback that can control tidal volume and the number of breaths per minute.
9. Telangana installed ‘V Safe Tunnel’ to sanitize people
- A unique disinfectant named ‘V Safe Tunnel’ has been installed at the state Director General of Police’s office to sanitize people within 20 seconds from any possible bacteria and other microbes with the help of S3V Vascular Technologies.
- V Safe Tunnel consists of a combination of a water-soluble polymer and iodine in a form of spray effective against virus like SARS, MERS and Ebola.
10. Naveen Patnaik awarded as Hero to Animals Award by PETA
- CM Naveen Patnaik has been conferred with ”Hero to Animals Award” by animal rights body PETA India for allocating funds to feed community animals in Odisha during the lockdown over the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- The government sanctioned the amount after it was found that thousands of stray animals in Odisha were having a hard time finding food as markets, eateries and hotels are closed.
- Earlier this award was given to Bollywood actor Shilpa Shetty Kundra.
11. Exercise NCC Yogdan started for COVID-19 pandemic
- Ministry of Defence (MoD) had allowed temporary employment of NCC cadets under ‘Exercise NCC Yogdan’
- These cadets will give a helping hand to state and municipal authorities to augment relief efforts.
- The types of tasks envisaged for cadets include manning of helpline/call centres; distribution of relief materials, medicines, food/essential commodities; community assistance; data management and queue & traffic management and manning of CCTV control rooms.