1. Novak Djokovic wins Australian Open 2020 men’s title
- Serbia’s Novak Djokovic has won his record 8th Men’s singles title in Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
- He beat Dominic Thiem of Austria (6-4, 4-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4).
- The men’s doubles title was clinched by Joe Salisbury of UK and American Rajeev Ram who beat Australia’s Luke Saville and Max Purcell.
- Sofia Kenin has become the youngest woman to win the Australian Open in 12 years.
2.‘Kala Ghoda Arts festival’ begins in Mumbai
- India’s largest multi-cultural street festival ‘Kala Ghoda Arts Festival -2020′ (21st edition) begins in South Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The theme for 2020 KGAF is “PAST FORWARD”.
- The objectives of the festival is to “physically upgrading the Kala Ghoda sub-precinct and making it the Art District of Mumbai”.
3.Andhra Pradacesh flags off country’s first ‘fruit train’
- Railways flagged off a ‘Fruit Train’ from Tadipatri Railway Station (in Anantapur district) carrying a load of 980 metric tonnes of locally grown bananas to the Jawaharlal Nehru Port in Mumbai.
- These bananas will be exported under the brand name ‘Happy Bananas’.
- As 150 trucks would have been required to send a consignment of this size by road to JNPT, before the temperature-controlled containers are loaded on ships.
4.Union Govt. appoints M Ajit Kumar as chairman of CBIC
- The Union Govt. has appointed M Ajit Kumar IRS (C&CE 84) as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- The new Chairman’s immediate responsibilities will include accelerating the Goods and Services Tax (GST) revenues and to deal with the changes introduced in customs duties in the Union Budget for 2020.
- The CBIC is the apex body for administering the levy and collection of indirect taxes of the Union of India.
5.Maldives re-joins Commonwealth
- The Maldives has once again become a member of the Commonwealth of nations.
- The Commonwealth Secretary-General, Patricia Scotland, confirmed Maldives’ reinstatement into the organization as its 54th member state.
- The Commonwealth of Nations is a political association of 54 member states, mostly former territories of the British Empire.
- The Maldives withdrew from the Commonwealth on 13 October 2016.
6.2nd Feb: World Wetlands Day 2020
- The world wetlands day is being celebrated every year on 2nd February with activities like catamaran race, rangoli competition, quiz and drawing competition for children, heritage walk and folklore programs.
- The theme for 2020 WWD is “Wetlands and Biodiversity”.
- It highlights the importance of healthy and intact wetlands to one of the most pressing challenges of our times: climate change.
7.Vinod Shukla bags first Mathrubhumi Book of the Year 2020 Award
- Noted Hindi poet-novelist Vinod Kumar Shukla (83-year) has bagged the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year 2020 award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue”.
- The stories in “Blue Is Like Blue” has been translated into English by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra and Sara Rai.
- The award is given by Kerala based Malayalam newspaper Mathrubhumi to the best fictional work released in the previous year.
8.Noted Odia Poet Rabi Singh passes away
- Eminent Odia poet Rabi Singh (89-years) passed away following a prolonged illness.
- He was popularly known as “Biplabi Kabi” (the revolutionary poet) for his patriotic writings.
- Earlier, Mr. Singh was conferred with the Odia Sahitya Akademi award and the Ati Badi Jagannath Das Samman.
9.India & Maldives sign five MoUs for establishing Addu Tourism zone
- India and Maldives signed five MoUs for establishing the Addu Tourism zone in five islands of Addu atoll at a cost of 2.49 million dollars.
- A 6th MoU to set up a bottled water plant in Hoarafushi was also signed today. All six projects are grant projects falling under India’s High Impact Community Development Scheme (HICDP).
- These projects are driven by the needs of communities on the islands.
10.Gross GST collection for January cross Rs 1 lakh cr
- GST revenues during the month of January from domestic transactions showed a growth of 12% over the revenue during the month last year.
- The IGST collected from imports of goods, total revenue during January this year has increased.
- It has gone up by 8% in comparison to revenue during same time last year.
- This is the sixth time during the current financial year that GST revenue has crossed 1 lakh crore rupees.